Ammo in the mail

Discussion in 'Various other stuff' started by CAS14, Jun 3, 2014.

Tags:
  1. CAS14

CAS14 CAS14

A year or two ago, I mailed some generously donated PFS together with marbles in one instance, ball bearings in the other instance, to Afghanistan. I am fairly certain that those shipments were never received, whereas hundreds of other shipments were received and acknowledged.

I can only speculate, but perhaps some kinds of spherical ammo looks similar to an explosive device during mail screening. So during these final months of troop deployment to Afghanistan, and the final shipments of Scouts, I ponder whether to ship any ammo. Of course they can always use pebbles or dig lead out of the pistol / rifle range butts. Recent boxes that contained a few Scouts were loaded with hard candy, and these were received.

What else might serve as ammo yet pass through mail screening? Paintball ammo? Other ideas?

Suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

2. Obl1v1Aus

Obl1v1Aus Meh!

some of the hydroponics/aquaponics growing mediums are spherical: expanded clay for instance.
    or some cheap and nasty gumballs or gobstoppers

3. Jeb

Jeb Baba Hunter

Gobstoppers... fantastic idea!

Or how about a necklace of large heavy beads. When they get it they just snip the string and, voila, instant ammo.

4. CAS14

CAS14 CAS14

Thanks guys! Yes I have sent lots of Gobstoppers and they were received as well as other hard candy such as lemon drops. The intense summer heat there, and even here in Oklahoma, causes many kinds of candy including Gobstoppers to become sticky.

I will look for some necklaces as I shop for my granddaughter's upcoming 4th birthday. Great idea!

Non Multa Sed Multum

5. CAS14

CAS14 CAS14

I'll have to research the clays idea!

Non Multa Sed Multum

6. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

I'm surprised the marbles would be intercepted - I wonder if they would be grabbed if they weren't in the same package with a slingshot? Our church has sent stuff to folks in the military in the past, and I know they had some definite restrictions on what could and could not be sent. But with respect to ammo for a slingshot, that's a good question. I would second the gobstoppers myself, and also gumballs, which I've used many times - but they're likely to get sticky too in a hot/humid environment. I'll be curious to see if you come up with a solution that will pass the inspection.

7. JimRhodo

JimRhodo Junior Member

Send them separately

With instructions on how to play marbles

8. CAS14

CAS14 CAS14

Yes, so they don't loose their marbles from boredom when inside the wire. Actually, a young Corporal said they like anything violent, especially things like the slingshots I've sent.

Sending DVDs of the classic Seven Samarai movie soon, followed by The Magnificent Seven with Clint Eastwood. They are too young to remember those unless they saw TV versions.

Non Multa Sed Multum

9. CAS14

CAS14 CAS14

The marbles were in the same box as slingshots. Same as with the box with ball bearings and slingshots.

Could be a coincidence but I don't want to chance it.

Non Multa Sed Multum

10. Gniaffron

Gniaffron Junior Member

There are some seeds that are quite round and hard. Though sending plants might not pass the custom either...

11. RalphG

RalphG New Member

If they can dig lead from the rifle range butts then why not sending them a mold to cast their owm ammo? They`ll never run out of ammo then and have another interesting pasttime to distract them.