Airguns... What to choose?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by FIAAO, Jan 20, 2014.

1. FIAAO

FIAAO Failureisalwaysanoption

Hello guys!

I'm thinking about buying an air pistol, and I can't choose between these two models:

Crosman Vigilante Revolver:
    http://www.funstuff.se/produkt/Crosman-Revolver-Vigilante

Luger P08:
    http://www.funstuff.se/produkt/Legends-P08

Both are pretty cool... They shoot at about the same speed, but the Luger has a magazine capacity of 21 steel BB's while the Revolver has room for 10 diabolo-bullets (which I already have a lot of for my Hatsan Striker X airrifle). The Luger is completely made of metal. The revolver features "single action", which apparently means you can cock the hammer in order to get a smoother, lighter trigger pull.

Which one should I choose? :)

2. Faxi

Faxi Banned

Is the Pistol for targetshooting? Or are you going to hunt? The Impact of Steel-BB's can be higher, but Diabolo-pellets are more accurate.
    Single Action is better for Targetshooting. More Fun at Cans gives you the Double-Action.

I would buy a " Vorkompressions-Luftpistole Zoraki HP-01 Kaliber 4,5 mm" or a

"HW 40 Sport Weihrauch Luftpistole Kal. 4,5"

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014

3. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Just out of interest what are the laws on air rifles and pistols in Sweden? They are quite restrictive in the UK. Why a pistol instead of a rifle? Just wondering because Im nosey ;)

4. FIAAO

Target-shooting only. I see, thank you! I use Diabolo-pellets for my air rifle, and it is very accurate.

5. dolomite

dolomite Banned

The daisy red rider BB gun like Ralphy from a ChristmasStory...don't shoot your eye out;).

6. FIAAO

VWScooby: In Sweden you can own airguns with a maximum of ten joules of energy. Semi- or fully automatic weapons are restricted to three joules. You have to be 18+ in order to shoot them on your own. If your under that age you have to have a parent or other 18+ person supervising. You can shoot them in your backyard, no problem :) And I have an airrifle already, an a pistol would be cool too! :)

Dolo: Looks cool! :D But only shoots half as fast as my other air rifle :)

7. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Wow, thats more restrictive than the UK!

The Luger looks awesome but I would probably go for the Crosman just for accuracy really if I was in your shoes.

EDIT: Sorry, dont know why I wrote Netherlands when you are in Sweden! :eek:

8. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

Just looking at it i'd buy the crossman haha :) but i don't know anything about airguns ;)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Slingshot Forum mobile app

9. LW

LW New Member

If you want to play Police Officer then you buy the Crosman, if you want to play James Bond then of course the P.08.

Ok a little serious now:

The P.08.

benefits:
    21 Round Stick Magazine shots 4,5 mm Steel BB´s. (a lot of fun for Plinking)
    A lot of steel about 800 gram
    About 430 fps for this kind hard hitter…
    About 6 magazines from one CO2 bottle

cons:
    Non adjustable sights - nothing for Target shooting.
    21 Round Stick Magazine shots 4,5 mm Steel BB´s - nothing for Target shooting.
    Only double action
    Hard trigger - nothing for Target shooting.
    further costs due to CO2 cartridges

The Crosman
    benefits:
    one pellet magazine 6 shot and one BB magazine, but both are quit poor, the BB magazine is very poor, because they won’t stay in place…
    A lot of rails to mount useless things like Laser ore sights.
    Double and single action
    With the pellets more accurate than the P.08

cons:
    I don’t like break barrel on a pistol
    A very big gun, some like this, but I don’t like this on this kind of fun shooter
    About 360 fps loses too much pressure due to the construction
    further costs due to CO2 cartridges

For fun shooting and plinking I use my Weihrauch HW45 (single shot) 5,5 mm and for Target I use my Feinwerkbau LP 65 and my Feinwerkbau LP100 both are old professional air guns, very reliable without additional cost. Both are no longer built, only used available, but very reliable, on the Internet you can get spare parts for both of them.
    I know, the acquisition costs are higher than the Luger or the Crosman, but those are serious air guns for target shooting in a non professional way at the present time. Sometimes you get a good deal on the internet

I know, this is not the answer you want to hear, but if I had to choose between those two, I would buy the P08, because bother are only fun shooters and I like the look of the Luger.

10. Ghosth

Ghosth Over the hill but still swinging!

If it was me I would not buy either, but then I'm not fond of C02.
    To me CO2 is just a way the guns manufacture figured to get more money out of their customers.

If you want to seriously shoot Pistol then think serious, like this. http://www.crosman.com/airguns/pistols/PC77B

If your buying it just to have it hang on the wall and look good, then feel free to ignore me.

I currently have several BB guns, all spring action, for cheap, indoor wintertime shooting. (Keeps my hands and eyes in practice. They are not terribly accurate, but they are good enough. I have 1 bb gun rifle, spring action, IT is accurate.

I have also owned a Sheridan Blue streak rifle in 5MM for near 40 years.
    This is one sweet shooting, rugged, dependable air rifle. It will knock the socks off any BB gun in power, penetration, accuracy. Only downside is the ammo has slowly over the years gotten to where it is not cheap. And it is harder to find except via internet sales. It has adjustable power by means of a forarm pump. 2 pumps will kill a sparrow at 10m, 3 works fine for starlings on a overhead wire at 15- 25 m. 4 pumps will cleanly kill a rabbit out to 50 meters.

So you have to ask yourself what you want, and why you want it.

Image = nothing, "cool" = nothing.

A rifle that will go out and kill game to feed you or the family, quietly, without need for CO2 cylinders that might run dry. Or that will keep varmints out of your food supply. Now in the long haul, that is worth something.

11. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

+1 on the HW45. Used to have one, wish I had never given it away :(

12. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

I own a number of air pistols and rifles. I have a Crosman revolver, the 3576, which looks somewhat similar to the Vigilante, but only shoots .177 (4.5mm) pellets, not BB's. The Vigilante appears to be an updated version of the 3576. I can't answer for the Vigilante, but I can say the 3576 is a great pellet gun. I bought extra clips for it, so when I go to shoot, I pre-load them all then I can shoot for a while without being bothered with reloading all the time. It shoots very well and the adjustable rear sight is nice to have. The option to shoot single action by cocking the hammer is nice if you're really trying to drill a target dead center.

Here is the model I have: http://www.amazon.com/Crosman-Semi-Auto-Powered-Pellet-Revolver/dp/B0002IL6T4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1390227185&sr=8-1&keywords=crossman+revolver

I like the look of the 3576 better, it doesn't have that squared-off barrel like the Vigilante. In looking at some reviews of the Vigilante, it looks like it shoots just as well. The BB option is kind of nice to have too.

Mine will run for close to 100 shots with a CO2 cartridge. Some of my other CO2 pistols won't do more than about 70, so that's a bonus too. It feels good in the hand, but is a large grip, so for someone like me with smaller hands, it can be a handful.

I'm not a big fan of the Luger style anyway. I'd go with the revolver.

Oh, and I've got a Hatsan rifle as well - the 125 Sniper in .22 cal (5.6mm). That rifle hits hard and is very accurate. It's my favorite airgun.

13. Schultz

Schultz New Member

I would prefer the Revolver, I had once a Walther PPK with a 15 Rounds bb Magazine and Blow Back function but it was not really accurate. My Cousin had a Walther p88 with 6 Round magazine for pellets and this was much better for target shooting. I had also a russian kink-run Pistol with a look like the Baikal MP-53M and it shoot much better than both Walther. But I sell both Pistols and bought me a Break Barrel and a Fixed Barrel Air Rifle. (Tell 100 and Norconia B88)
    The only co2 Weapon that I now have, are my Walther SG68 Pumpgun Paintball Marker and a Cheap Paintball Marker to play on the pitch.

14. buckshot500

buckshot500 Hoonigan Jeeper

Both are sweet.

If you are only in your backyard, the revolver would be nice.

if you are walking around in the woods for a few hours, the Luger would be easier to carry.

This is a web image of my single shot pump pellet gun, the Crosman 1377.
    I love this thing, and it hits hard. I have to be careful not to over-pump it

Attached Files:

15. seeker66

seeker66 New Member

I would seriously consider the crosman 1377 like buckshot500 or the 1322 the .22 pellets are a bit slower but hit with more energy. I know it might seem like a drag to need to pump it, and its only single shot, but its a proven design from the 1970's, there are many mods to increase the performance, and there is no need for c02. Also in my opinion, stay away from bb's...pellets are the way to go.

16. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

I've thought about adding a 1322 to my collection at some point. I have a .22 cal pellet rifle and I love it. The 1322 looks like a nice pistol.

17. dolomite

dolomite Banned

+Hella on the 1377! My buddy had one and I had the .357 6'', his house was routinely attacked by woodpeckers and his dad asked us to scare them off. I had to be very careful to not hit the house or the birds as the CO2 gun hits decently hard. He could do a one pump and aim between their feet and just bounce it off the house with no damage done. Also he could hit the pinecones at the top of the tree in the front yard way more accurately and with enough zip to break pieces off. Wish I would've got the 1377 instead, it would still get use. As a side bonus, you can fire darts with the 1377.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  18. buckshot500

buckshot500 Hoonigan Jeeper

That 1377 does not have a magnetic bolt. I think they don't want you to shoot BBs out of it for some reason. This gun will shoot BBs however, but only upwards. Quite handy for turning off streetlights as I recall.

The BB will roll right out of the barrel if you point it down.

19. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

I forgot about those darts! I need to see if they still sell them. I haven't seen them around in years. I used to love to shoot those when I was a kid.