You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of The Slingshot Forum!    

Slingshot Forum - The Slingshot Channel Official Forum > General > New project ideas >

The Longest Slingshot Ever

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2017, 02:16 PM   #11
Pluto41

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roi_Pigeon View Post
Theraband seem to max out at a certain velocity (80 or 90m/s I think).

The material just can't retract to its initial lenght faster than that. So from my understanding, shooting a tiny steel ball from that monster sized rig would mean that you'd get a steel shot flying at the maxed out speed of +/- 100m/s and get all of the unspent energy back to you in the form of the biggest bandslap in the known universe.
This is what i meant more of less with longer is not always better. Although this is only for me a mind experiment and i don't have time / physics knowledge or tools to back this up. By the way i'm talking about "regular" catapults forks. We all know that if the forks gets really wide this would be another game. I'm interested in a regular fork width. 10 millimetre steel and what would happen if you use really long bands.. Anyway looking forward to Joerg's experiment. Sounds like fun Best regards from Netherlands.

Old 09-13-2017, 03:53 PM   #12
Technipion

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Guys I know, I studied physics and had to graduate in material science

A rubber band can't reach velocity higher than a material-specific constant (which is definetely!!! lower than the internal speed of sound). So like 110 m/s is max.

But I meant to use a lot of 10mm steel balls, like 4kg of them. This would basically be a giant Slingshotgun :'D

Anyway, every construction with that much rubber just must be a lot of fun, especially if Jörg designed it

Tags
rubber chain, rubber rings, slingshot, world record