You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of The Slingshot Forum!    

Slingshot Forum - The Slingshot Channel Official Forum > General > Show off your homemades! >

"Mantis" Slotbow - why did I not think of this before?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2015, 05:29 AM   #21
calinb

Liked 31 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdh2000 View Post
That's awesome. I have seen 3D printers spit out all kinds of things but have only seen it do a slingshot online. It must be a treat to not only see it printed but then test it as well. 150 lbs is crazy.

Perhaps you can use the printer to make a part that allows shooting with the arrow inserted either way.
I'll work on that Dan and post photos when I have something. I'll add the second pattern that's rotated 180 degrees (a slot every 60 degrees). I had a recurve bow years ago that I made in Jr. High shop class, but I have no experience with slingbows and I'll have to order some arrows first.

-Cal

Old 07-12-2015, 06:06 AM   #22
JoergS
Administrator
TSF_ADMIN.png

Liked 10173 Times on 2735 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Send a message via Skype™ to JoergS

Six slots vs. three isn't such a good idea. The slots need to be flared in because the vanes are glued onto the shaft, and that thickens the shaft a bit. If you put on six flared slots, then the arrow guidance will be very loose.

It is actually impossible to put in the arrow the wrong way. The bands are very short (as the draw length is limited to the length of the arrow, maybe 80 cm). Therefore the arrow has to be inserted with the vanes in the slot when you nock it.

tokSick Likes This 
Old 07-12-2015, 11:50 AM   #23
bigdh2000
Administrator
TSF_ADMIN.png

Slingshots

Liked 8947 Times on 5123 Posts
Likes Given: 1615

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoergS View Post
If you put on six flared slots, then the arrow guidance will be very loose.
I wondered if that might be the case. Basically you are left with six pointed ends that end up too far apart to be effective (I sketched it on a piece of paper last night). The "hole" for the arrow shaft is roughly twice the diameter once done. There will be a lot of "chatter" in the best case.

“All men make mistakes, but married men find out about them sooner.” - Red Skelton
Jack739 Likes This 
Old 07-12-2015, 12:39 PM   #24
Jack739
Gun-'Slinger'

Liked 758 Times on 331 Posts
Likes Given: 1286

HE IS BACK! Love the simplicity and devastation fused in one small object! Haha now i really wanna make one Joerg!

Okay the Concept for the small shooter is proofed, lets go for a crossbow haha! It dont need to be that long, like your smallest crossbow but I wanna see metal rods propelled at oaks walls with tremodous speed!
With your easy lock and a rather open barrel system it could make a fun shooter! ..
Blaa blaa haha yes i know.. i just want to see a shooter like the M10 Hexnut rifle again, it is soo awesome to see and build such crossbows you made!

Quote:
I wondered if that might be the case. Basically you are left with six pointed ends that end up too far apart to be effective (I sketched it on a piece of paper last night). The "hole" for the arrow shaft is roughly twice the diameter once done. There will be a lot of "chatter" in the best case.
What about making a hole as big as the arrow and the feathers together, cut 6 to 8 slots and place metall brackets into them so they form a hole where the arrow shaft could be slotted in? In is sturdier than sawing into the ply that much and would do the job, maybe 4-5 brackets will do!

Last edited by Jack739; 07-12-2015 at 01:23 PM.

Old 07-12-2015, 01:40 PM   #25
SteveC

Liked 81 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 113

This is an awesome idea!

"Mantis" Slotbow - why did I not think of this before? - Show off your homemades!

"Mantis" Slotbow - why did I not think of this before? - Show off your homemades!

Old 07-12-2015, 02:16 PM   #26
bigdh2000
Administrator
TSF_ADMIN.png

Slingshots

Liked 8947 Times on 5123 Posts
Likes Given: 1615

I think in the end you need a system that only has the three slots but allows you to insert the piece with the slot in your preferred direction. Ever since Jörg dropped this concept on us here my mind has been working overtime.

“All men make mistakes, but married men find out about them sooner.” - Red Skelton

Old 07-12-2015, 02:31 PM   #27
TheNewSlingshotGuy
AKA- "The Raccoon"
TSF_ADMIN.png

Liked 3868 Times on 2133 Posts
Likes Given: 7019

Simple-Shot has been prototyping a slingbow for the market, this would be an excellent idea to simplify design and eliminate the need for a whisker biscuit.

What do we want?!! LOW FLYING AIRPLANE NOISES!!
When do we want em!??
NYEEEEOOOOOWWWW!!!!
pelleteer Likes This 
Old 07-12-2015, 05:43 PM   #28
calinb

Liked 31 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
I think in the end you need a system that only has the three slots but allows you to insert the piece with the slot in your preferred direction.
This looks like another case where a removable forks / head slingshot design might be warranted!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewSlingshotGuy View Post
Simple-Shot has been prototyping a slingbow for the market, this would be an excellent idea to simplify design and eliminate the need for a whisker biscuit.
I'm not a slingbow shooter (yet) so please correct me if I'm wrong but the whisker buiscuit is only needed when shooting at extreme, near vertical angles, right? Chief AJ sells a slingbow with a simple flip-down rest and that's what he uses for big game hunting. It seems to me that it would work perfectly well for targets too. He also sells a whisker biscuit and claims that it is useful for shooting down at fish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoergS View Post
Six slots vs. three isn't such a good idea. The slots need to be flared in because the vanes are glued onto the shaft, and that thickens the shaft a bit. If you put on six flared slots, then the arrow guidance will be very loose.
Thanks, Jörg. That makes sense. Speaking of looseness--is your three slot design tight enough to shoot straight down accurately (the hallmark of the whisker biscuit)?

Old 07-12-2015, 06:51 PM   #29
TheNewSlingshotGuy
AKA- "The Raccoon"
TSF_ADMIN.png

Liked 3868 Times on 2133 Posts
Likes Given: 7019

Quote:
Originally Posted by calinb View Post
This looks like another case where a removable forks / head slingshot design might be warranted!

I'm not a slingbow shooter (yet) so please correct me if I'm wrong but the whisker buiscuit is only needed when shooting at extreme, near vertical angles, right? Chief AJ sells a slingbow with a simple flip-down rest and that's what he uses for big game hunting. It seems to me that it would work perfectly well for targets too. He also sells a whisker biscuit and claims that it is useful for shooting down at fish.

Thanks, Jörg. That makes sense. Speaking of looseness--is your three slot design tight enough to shoot straight down accurately (the hallmark of the whisker biscuit)?
I was referring to the fact that eliminating the whisker biscuit would help keep cost down and simplify design.

What do we want?!! LOW FLYING AIRPLANE NOISES!!
When do we want em!??
NYEEEEOOOOOWWWW!!!!

Old 07-12-2015, 08:14 PM   #30
pelleteer
Middle Aged Delinquent

Liked 281 Times on 152 Posts
Likes Given: 240

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewSlingshotGuy View Post
I was having similar thoughts as soon as I saw this. I was thinking that since the Simpleshot one will have replaceable upper sections, they could offer an additional upper molded in this shape. This one could just be an addition to the lineup, rather than a replacement. The biscuit attachment would still be good for those who use fletching other than the straight 3-feather/vane 120* style (4 or 5 feather/vane, offset or helical fletching, etc.).

People Like This