You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of The Slingshot Forum!    

Slingshot Forum - The Slingshot Channel Official Forum > General > Show off your homemades! >

"Mantis" Slotbow - why did I not think of this before?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2015, 06:52 PM   #11
BeMahoney
Builder of things
TSF_ADMIN.png

Slingshots

Liked 9624 Times on 4068 Posts
Likes Given: 13993

A good idea!

Old 07-11-2015, 08:23 PM   #12
bigdh2000
Administrator
TSF_ADMIN.png

Slingshots

Liked 8970 Times on 5142 Posts
Likes Given: 1657

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack739 View Post
Hey Dan, i have the opinion that the nock on the arrow will guide it, while drawing and releasing, so it
wont happen too often that the tail feathers get ripped off haha!

I really like the concept Joerg, i have some crossbow arrows here... maybe i build one for Phun!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoergS View Post
I applied a little bit of flaring, but indeed the nock aligns the arrow quite nicely... the hispeed cam clearly shows that. Also, the vanes look pristine even after dozens of shots.

I really recommend this! Much better than a whisker biscuit, and zero cost.
Sorry, I should have been more clear. Do not get me wrong, the idea is simple and profound. However...

True, it works fine for those that set the nock the same way every time. However, if the eventual intent is mass production, you must account for the person that likes to line up the nock flipped 180 degrees.

Perhaps a design that allows both directions? Six slots in lieu of three.

Also, there are times when I twist the "pouch" to make the arrow do fun things. This design does not allow for this.

“All men make mistakes, but married men find out about them sooner.” - Red Skelton
People Like This 
Old 07-11-2015, 08:49 PM   #13
JoergS
Administrator
TSF_ADMIN.png

Liked 10258 Times on 2767 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Send a message via Skype™ to JoergS

People Like This 
Old 07-11-2015, 08:53 PM   #14
resortera

Liked 368 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdh2000 View Post
Sorry, I should have been more clear. Do not get me wrong, the idea is simple and profound. However...

True, it works fine for those that set the nock the same way every time. However, if the eventual intent is mass production, you must account for the person that likes to line up the nock flipped 180 degrees.

Perhaps a design that allows both directions? Six slots in lieu of three.

Also, there are times when I twist the "pouch" to make the arrow do fun things. This design does not allow for this.
You cam make the center spin whit the bands like whit a bearing sryle or somthimg i dont know if you catch me

Old 07-11-2015, 09:16 PM   #15
dinobuddy

Slingshots

Liked 1276 Times on 433 Posts
Likes Given: 620

I think all you need is for the slots to be wide on the shooter side, and very narrow on the target side. As the arrow enters the slots, they will "funnel" the fletching.

Also, anyone else immediately think of Battlestar Galactica as soon as Jörg reveals the slots?

https://youtu.be/wa7zDfGVh74

Old 07-11-2015, 09:24 PM   #16
Kresimir

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I find it very surprising and fascinating that the slot does not damage the vanes (fletching) of the arrow! Very interesting stuff!

Old 07-11-2015, 10:03 PM   #17
resortera

Liked 368 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by resortera View Post
You cam make the center spin whit the bands like whit a bearing sryle or somthimg i dont know if you catch me
Talkint about somthing like the pik make the center spin make the arrow spin anyways after seeing the video it seems to be just perfect like it is

"Mantis" Slotbow - why did I not think of this before? - Show off your homemades!

Old 07-12-2015, 12:35 AM   #18
calinb

Liked 31 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Very cool, Jörg! Thanks for disclosing it to the public so we can all work to improve upon your idea, instead of being paralyzed by someone's patent claim! (At least I hope no prior art claims exist.) Even though I only have your Rambone mesh model to work-with and no solid model, I'll try to CAD-up something similar to the Mantis myself and "boolean glue" it to a Rambone handle using the Blender software program (and thanks for the Rambone too).

BTW, I 3D-printed a Rambone in Taulman 618 nylon and took my first fork with it while trying to shoot a 53 cal. lead ball at 20 fpe. (My butterfly technique needs work.) When printed optimally, 618 is very impact resistant. I could hardly even find the mark (at least I think I found it..maybe). I quit testing it after I hung 150 lbs. from the forks.
BeMahoney Likes This 
Old 07-12-2015, 01:18 AM   #19
bigdh2000
Administrator
TSF_ADMIN.png

Slingshots

Liked 8970 Times on 5142 Posts
Likes Given: 1657

Quote:
Originally Posted by calinb View Post
Very cool, Jörg! Thanks for disclosing it to the public so we can all work to improve upon your idea, instead of being paralyzed by someone's patent claim! (At least I hope no prior art claims exist.) Even though I only have your Rambone mesh model to work-with and no solid model, I'll try to CAD-up something similar to the Mantis myself and "boolean glue" it to a Rambone handle using the Blender software program (and thanks for the Rambone too).

BTW, I 3D-printed a Rambone in Taulman 618 nylon and took my first fork with it while trying to shoot a 53 cal. lead ball at 20 fpe. (My butterfly technique needs work.) When printed optimally, 618 is very impact resistant. I could hardly even find the mark (at least I think I found it..maybe). I quit testing it after I hung 150 lbs. from the forks.
That's awesome. I have seen 3D printers spit out all kinds of things but have only seen it do a slingshot online. It must be a treat to not only see it printed but then test it as well. 150 lbs is crazy.

Perhaps you can use the printer to make a part that allows shooting with the arrow inserted either way.

“All men make mistakes, but married men find out about them sooner.” - Red Skelton
Sly Likes This 
Old 07-12-2015, 01:47 AM   #20
Diaboloslinger
Administrator
TSF_ADMIN.png

Liked 2292 Times on 1550 Posts
Likes Given: 3231

Dammit! I'll have to return my recently acquired whisker biscuit....