You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of The Slingshot Forum!    

Slingshot Forum - The Slingshot Channel Official Forum > General > General Slingshot Discussions >

Looking for a basic starship pattern..kinda..

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2014, 03:10 AM   #1
DM099

Liked 26 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Looking for a basic starship pattern..kinda..

I've been looking all over to find a blueprint or a template for a startship. I think the first one I try should be one that is tried and true in design and concept. Maybe I've missed it, but I've seen more and more out-freaking-standing pics, and would like to start on one in the near future, but I know very little about them.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Towards a set of plans, something to tell me what type angle should be used for the connection of the sling to the frame....from looking at some of Ruthie's, I'm not even sure setting an angle is necessary. Information, plans, something?

Appreciate it.

Mac

People Like This 
Old 02-20-2014, 03:46 AM   #2
kohlqez
Accident-Prone
Slingshots

Liked 1204 Times on 730 Posts
Likes Given: 373

Starship blueprints are hard to find because they don't fit on standard paper, I recommend just making your own template. It's easy enough, just fold a paper in half draw your fork, cut that out transfer it to wood then make your handle and wrist brace. Look at other people's completed starships would probably be your best option. Copy it as best you can or modify it to fit what you want, and if it doesn't turn out how you want then scrap it and try again

People Like This 
Old 02-20-2014, 04:15 AM   #3
Will
Thread Hijacker
TSF_SUPPORTER.png

Slingshots

Liked 8075 Times on 2799 Posts
Likes Given: 13883

I've been considering building one of these (eventually...) as well. I figured I would begin the basic shape by tracing the contour of my wrist and forearm on paper and proceeding from there. The starship design appears very free-form, open and personal to each builder, to my eyes anyway. This might be one of those situations where continued tinkering with a design may yield the results you are looking for. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
Although, I believe Flipgun had a template for a killer shooter he built recently. If he doesn't weigh-in on this thread, you might send him a message. He is a great builder and a great guy as well

-Tom Waits

}=)))) > Wdabeast@Gmail.Com < ((((={
People Like This 
Old 02-20-2014, 04:20 AM   #4
Cwren10222
Slingshots

Liked 184 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 78

Personally it's the making that I enjoy, design your own and if it works good great, it may very well turn out to be firewood but it was fun to make none the less. I didn't even know what a starship was 2 days ago lol so yeah now I'm making one out of plywood in my shop. Will it work? I don't know or really care cause it's fun to do. If my first attempt looks good and shoots like crap no worry as is learning experience. If it looks like crap and shoots great same thing. If it looks great and shoots great it's going in my collection and not as kindling for a fire. It's all in the fun of the build to me.
People Like This 
Old 02-20-2014, 04:21 PM   #5
Ghosth
Over the hill but still swinging!
TSF_ADMIN.png

Liked 1229 Times on 629 Posts
Likes Given: 414

Send a message via Skype™ to Ghosth

http://slingshotforum.com/topic/28960-walking-my-sand-snake/ Start by watching a few video's like this. Let it ferment in your brain for a month or 3, and then just start experimenting. Ruthie has some very unique carved ones with good pictures. ps forum is being funky today, first I couldn't get here at all, now it doesn't want to let me insert links or pictures.
ruthiexxxx Likes This 
Old 02-20-2014, 05:29 PM   #6
Cwren10222
Slingshots

At least I'm not only one having problems today. Thought my phone had gone wonky but guess it is just the forum
Old 02-21-2014, 12:42 AM   #7
DM099

Liked 26 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Well, I'm gonna take some of the advice offered.

Mulling it over, looking at a lot of pics, figuring in my head what I want it to look like, feel like, etc.
People Like This 
Old 02-21-2014, 02:29 AM   #8
Ghosth
Over the hill but still swinging!
TSF_ADMIN.png

Liked 1229 Times on 629 Posts
Likes Given: 414

Send a message via Skype™ to Ghosth

DM there are several advantages to think about.

A Draw length extension = more power. Pushing those forks farther out from your hand means you can seriously add some draw length, and get more power out of the same rubber.

B Brace Again a natural for more power. Which also adds stability and accuracy.

C Starships are a perfect fit for a sling bow, and easy to modify into either a convertible or a full time sling bow. Those forks farther out means your arrow rest can also be farther out, and you have a lot more mounting options.

The slingbow bug hasn't bitten me, yet. I've just finished my second star ship, and so far it is the most accurate shooter off all of my slingshots. Yes, even the slingshot rifles.

Not sure why, but I'm going with the flow. I'm in the process of making a third star ship, PVC again, planning on longer fork arms this time. And I added a couple of fancy curves to my brace arm.

Thinking about making the fork arms able to "flex" to add power, like a bow limb.
Still working out how to make it safe (don't want a fork arm breaking off and skewering an eye)
People Like This 
Old 02-21-2014, 04:19 AM   #9
ruthiexxxx
ruthiexxxx

Liked 1774 Times on 673 Posts
Likes Given: 2897

Can't help you with blueprints or templates I'm afraid. I'm a disorganised slob and just make stuff up as I go along.
Wingshooter's design seems very good and I was pleased with the 24" extension one that I made with that canted fork design. On the other hand, as an intuitive shooter, I do like the high wide forks of the other two which give me a very clear picture of what I am aiming at.
Attached Thumbnails
3starships.jpg  
People Like This 
Old 02-21-2014, 04:30 AM   #10
Cwren10222
Slingshots

Ruthie I just hope my first starship turns out as nice as your supposed slobbish throw togethers lol. You truly are an artist when it comes to your designs. I've considered using a tonfa style police batton as the setup that way should I ever run out of ball bearings I still have a formidable weapon on hand lol

People Like This