You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of The Slingshot Forum!    

Slingshot Forum - The Slingshot Channel Official Forum > General > General Slingshot Discussions >

lead poisoning???

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2012, 10:09 AM   #1
onnod
Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

Liked 2830 Times on 1732 Posts
Likes Given: 1074

Default lead poisoning???

hey guys,
i was thinking to try to cast some lead ammo and i have everything ready but there is one thing:
my mom(i'm 13 so...) thinks you can get poisoned by the smoke that comes of and since i don't want to get poisoned i want to make sure i cant.

so can i get poisoned and if so, do i have to wear a mask or something????

grtz onno

Old 04-01-2012, 10:17 AM   #2
Ryan Wigglesworth

Slingshots

Liked 486 Times on 230 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Yeah... Doing this outdoors should be enough ventilation, but you do not want to be hanging over top of it and breathing it in if it can be avoided.

Until you are under your own care, that call will be your guardians though... Perhaps do some research on the issue and show her you know the risks and have taken the proper precautions?

http://www.islaam.ca/
Mulgarat Likes This 
Old 04-01-2012, 10:33 AM   #3
onnod

thanks ryan

I've searched some more myself and everybody says that i have to do it outside(the plan was to do that so) and then i will be alright.
so lets try to cast some ammo!!!

Old 04-01-2012, 10:41 AM   #4
Ryan Wigglesworth

Slingshots

Liked 486 Times on 230 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Good luck man! It's good to figure out now how to work within your established boundaries... When you are an adult the only that that changes are the consequences get worse :s

http://www.islaam.ca/

Old 04-01-2012, 01:42 PM   #5
onnod

thanks again ryan but sadly enough she wont let me try it anyway SadSad

Old 04-08-2012, 04:24 AM   #6
Wargasm

People who reload bullets and cast musket balls usually do so on a large scale, hundreds at a time, this makes it more worthwile. Having a well ventilated area will keep the harmful vapors away. There are also groups involved in miniatures casting, whether for fantasy role playing/tactial board games or simply for collecting, they also cast in lead, Ventilation is the key, doing it outside would be best, but then it's harder to control temperatures, a well ventilated are would be sufficient for casting slingshot ammo at the hobby level.

Old 04-08-2012, 11:30 AM   #7
Karok01

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You can melt lead on a bunson burner in a soup pot, it has a very low melting temp. This makes it easier to set up a small outdoor molding station. If you ar outdoors, i wouldn't worry too much about fumes. I will say, search for "making slingshot ammo" on youtube and follow your sidebar, and of course, please don't do any of this without adult supervision. (hate to be that guy, but lead tends to solidify fast when poured on another surface "like you're hand", just be careful.

Old 04-08-2012, 10:34 PM   #8
pelleteer
Middle Aged Delinquent

Liked 281 Times on 152 Posts
Likes Given: 240

Lead toxicity is one of those things that's gotten overdone these days to the point of being ridiculous. Yes, it is toxic in large amounts and over many years, but a few basic precautions essentially eliminate the risks. As has been said, when casting lead, try to do so outdoors or in a well ventilated indoor area (set a fan up in an open window and have it blowing toward the outdoors and do your casting on a table set up close to the fan). After handling lead, wash your hands with soap and water. Do those things and you'll be fine. No worries.

Of course, your parent gets the final say, but along the lines of what Karok was saying, you might try having her read some stuff online about lead casting. That might ease her mind a bit.

Best of luck.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:06 PM   #9
The Mikester

yes you could get lead poisoning if u evaporate the lead or lick your hands while working with it but if you melt it outside you will be fine

Old 09-21-2016, 06:35 AM   #10
Mambarino
Plink!

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelleteer View Post
Lead toxicity is one of those things that's gotten overdone these days to the point of being ridiculous. Yes, it is toxic in large amounts and over many years, but a few basic precautions essentially eliminate the risks.
This is an old thread, but it's an important topic so I'll bump it.

I have to disagree with the statement above. Quite apart from the effects on humans of using, handling and smelting lead, there is also the effect on wildlife when you leave lead ammo lying around outdoors.

This is a very topical issue at the moment, with states in the US moving to ban the use of lead in ammunition. For instance, California has prohibited the use of lead hunting ammunition, with a phase-out date of July 2019 (more info here).

I am a fan of steel ball bearings (which simply rust away if left in the wilderness) or clay ammo (cheap!)