You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of The Slingshot Forum!    

Slingshot Forum - The Slingshot Channel Official Forum > General > General Slingshot Discussions >

Aiming

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2016, 05:00 AM   #1
Haze

Liked 351 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 73

Default Aiming

I have just gotten back into shooting, having been building all this time whilst letting my catchbox sit against the fence unused.

Had pretty bad shooting to start with but after looking at a few youtube shooting legends, such as Bill Hays and Game Keeper John, went to side shooting with a 90 degree twist to keep the pouch vertical so that I can jam my bent thumb joint into that depression behind my ear at the end of my jawbone (sounds like an episode of House).

Anyway, it was all about nailing down a regular anchor point so I can focus on getting the front half of the equation right. A few shots and there was an immediate improvement.

Anyway, give that a try if you're struggling and it might work out for you.

Will be putting in some solid shooting sessions this weekend to try and firm things up. My release is fairly smooth, partly because all my steel ball bearings have a WD-40 spray on them so the pouch slips out nicely after a while. It does cause the odd flyer though.....

Old 10-12-2016, 01:40 PM   #2
Victor11

Liked 49 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I shot all my life (in the woods on cans and bottles) with regular hunting slingshots from like Canadian Tire or Walmart (Marksman). Then 3 months ago I said to myself all right let's get serious. Made a Rambone and bought some TBG on amazon. Watched Bill Hays instructionnal videos on shooting sideways and using the top band as a line o' fire. Went from shooting instinctively (and quite poorly) to hitting cans at 20 meters pretty easily in mere weeks.

Doesn't it feel great to really see the improvement huh? Anchor points and release techniques. That's pretty much it I believe and anyone can go Bill Hays level in no time... Still have to hit bullseye 17 times in a row at 12 meters... That was CAR-HAYS-HEEEE!

Socker Likes This 
Old 10-12-2016, 04:18 PM   #3
Toolshed

Slingshots

Liked 160 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I don't think I have shot a single practice session with any one type of band or sling, I usually have 3-4 slings all banded differently. THAT is why I can't hit targets for anything, because I do not have a clue where my aim point is switching between slings.

I need to lock down to ONE band size and stick to that.

Saint Francis of Assisi

Google map of fellow slingers

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zHqyhR67GWl0.kjQ9CRURsGKI

Old 10-12-2016, 10:10 PM   #4
Jeb
Baba Hunter
TSF_ADMIN.png

Slingshots

Liked 4515 Times on 2456 Posts
Likes Given: 6008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolshed View Post
I don't think I have shot a single practice session with any one type of band or sling, I usually have 3-4 slings all banded differently. THAT is why I can't hit targets for anything, because I do not have a clue where my aim point is switching between slings.

Ha. Yeah. I remember a while back someone (I think it was Jeremy) saying he was going on a "slingshot diet" to try to remedy this problem. Seems like a great idea to me. Only problem is: which one do you choose?!

Confirmed Baba Kills: ||||

My Slingshot Gallery

International Slingshot Events Calendar

Old 10-12-2016, 10:19 PM   #5
Daedric-Panther

Liked 323 Times on 216 Posts
Likes Given: 214

I would love to see a good sight for slingshots. Something like a drop out arrow rest on some compound bows, but as a sight.

Old 10-12-2016, 10:27 PM   #6
Flipgun

Slingshots

Liked 4657 Times on 2193 Posts
Likes Given: 930

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedric-Panther View Post
I would love to see a good sight for slingshots. Something like a drop out arrow rest on some compound bows, but as a sight.
The sights that are on most Spanish style shooters look good, but I have never seen a good explanation on how set and use them

Old 10-12-2016, 10:35 PM   #7
Jeb
Baba Hunter
TSF_ADMIN.png

Slingshots

Liked 4515 Times on 2456 Posts
Likes Given: 6008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedric-Panther View Post

Don't know if this qualifies as "good" - never shot one - but might be the kind of thing you have in mind, Daedric.

ImageUploadedBySlingshot Forum1476311696.573077.jpg

Confirmed Baba Kills: ||||

My Slingshot Gallery

International Slingshot Events Calendar

Old 10-13-2016, 04:24 AM   #8
Haze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolshed View Post

A good point, I think. When Bill shoots, the bandset always looks the same to me so if he does it, likely I should also.

Technically though, if you always use the same release point and get your release perfect, I think it should be possible to dial in a new slingshot and at least shoot OK after 10 shots or so.

That said, some frames just seem to shoot better for me than others. My take on that is that it's only a matter of experience - I saw Arturo put bands on a tin can and hit a bottle top at 10m. He put bands on shoe and did it with that as well. That tells me the frame doesn't matter that much.Or he's just a genius. Or both.

Old 10-13-2016, 04:27 AM   #9
Haze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeb View Post
Don't know if this qualifies as "good" - never shot one - but might be the kind of thing you have in mind, Daedric.

Attachment 35471
It's kind of ugly, but I reckon it does tick the aiming boxes if shot sideways so you can use the top band for windage and the pins for elevation. But would the top band (thinking about it) not obscure your view of the pins?