You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of The Slingshot Forum!    

Slingshot Forum - The Slingshot Channel Official Forum > General > Welcome & Introductions >

I finally had to register

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2016, 08:06 PM   #1
sbn89
TSF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Talking I finally had to register

Hi There
I'm Sebastian, 27 and from Germany

I've been reading in this lovely forum occasionally since 2012 but never felt like I had to register as I hadn't had much time for this kind of fun anyway.
I ordered a slingshot with 0.6mm natural rubber bands back in 2012 and there are still the original rubber bands on it. I may have shot about 50bbs with it and that's it.

I've always been on the road between L. A. and Shanghai, between Oslo and Port Elizabeth for the last six years. International field service. Starting new machines and troubleshoot and fix existing equipment. The last four years I was pretty much on my own, doing this alone and I was responsible for machines worth up to 5 million Euros.

It was a great time and I enjoyed it a lot but doing this kind of job came with a high price. My lower spine and my left shoulder are a wreck and I can't do my job anymore. pretty devastating but I'm working on getting better although it will never be really good again

Back in 2012 I forgot to take that slingshot out of my pocket (a week after I got it) before hitting the road again. I accidently flew from Frankfurt to Chicago and from Chicago to Cleveland, OH with that damn slingshot and 15 10mm BBs in my jacket and nobody noticed it. I went trough two security screenings and that slingshot with ammunition went twice through x-ray wihout trouble. So far my only experience with travelling with a slingshot.

Now I have plenty of time to do what I wanted to do but my back somehow limits it. Shooting regular slingshots and bow and arrow is off limits thanks to my shoulder.
My favorite "Toy", a recurve crossbow made by excalibur, is off limits too. 175lbs of draw wheight is way to much. I was able to hit an apple 100m away but now I can only dream of beeing able to cock it.
Don't get me wrong. I know this is not a toy. I bought it 2011 in Spanish Fort, AL and I was hunting with it once with an american colleage (most of the meat landed in his freezer) and saw the destruction it causes.
Today I'm glad that I did it. Not that I'm a big hunting guy (I prefer non bloody targets) but I got a very visible example of what these weapons are made for and I started to treat all my weapons with a lot more respect since this day but I still call my Phoenix my favorite toy.

yesterday I started to build a slingshot crossbow. a very simple design but with adjustable draw length. If I have a bad day I can reduce the draw lengh and still shoot it without changes to the rubber bands.

That's what I got together yesterday. Nothing fancy but functional
everything is made of beechwood. It was left over from a couple of router projects
20161014_175116.jpg

A thread rod size M8 allows adjustment of the pouch rest. It's fixed on both ends with a piece of 10x1mm aluminum pipe and two countered nuts on each end. the front end is hidden underneath the crossbar, on the backend there are additional two nuts for my battery drill. It takes about 28 seconds t move it all the way from one side to the other. So it's not really suitable as cocking aid. In the pouch and ball rest is a nut that has metric thread on the inside and thread for wood on the outside. You simply screw it in using an allenkey. I took a pic of them as well as I didn't find a vocab for these that made sense to me
20161015_171815.jpg
20161015_190254.jpg

Today I changed the single and straight theraband gold against a double tapered set. I cut them 190mm long and tapered from 22mm to 8mm. adjusted draw lenght on the pic above is ~85cm and there is a 10mm steel BB in the pouch.
I made a very simple clamp on trigger. using two of these magic nuts size m6x10 and 2 junk pieces of 20x20mm beechwood profile, an aluminum rod with 6mm diameter and that piece of spruce wood that I found in the shelf with that 45° cut already on it. I cut thread on both ends in the aluminum rod, turned the beechwood pieces into nuts and drilled a 6m hole in that piece of spruce wood.
20161015_184238.jpg
20161015_184243.jpg

I'm not really happy with it but it works for now. I'll probably touch that pouch rest and trigger up. It takes a lot of force to fire and that makes it hard to aim. everything is bolted together so I can rip it completly apart when i feel like it

Frank_Len Likes This 
Old 10-15-2016, 08:44 PM   #2
Knallfrosch

Slingshots

Liked 501 Times on 340 Posts
Likes Given: 297

Welcome to the Forum.

Sorry to hear that you are unable to shoot slingshots.
Having problems with shoulder and back at that young age is unfortunate.
Hope you get better soon as good as possible.

Nevertheless thats a nice slingshotcrossbow and i guess we all are curious to see it in action.
At least its a way to send some steel downrange

Last edited by Knallfrosch; 10-15-2016 at 09:03 PM.

Old 10-15-2016, 08:49 PM   #3
Juggalo
My slingshots are like me. They aren't pretty.
TSF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 495 Times on 390 Posts
Likes Given: 354

Welcome and yes great design and I for one can't wait to see it in action.

Old 10-15-2016, 09:40 PM   #4
sbn89
TSF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Lucky for you guys i took a short vid for my buddy and former colleage in the US. It was right before I made that trigger so I used a angle meter that just happend to be in my hands as trigger.

Here is that very short vid

before anyone complains: behind that trees in the background is 5m wide bush that is so dense that even my Dog doesn't go into it and no person will be able to enter. It's untouched for 15 years...
Behind that bush is a major road raised 3m above the ground on compacted dirt held in place by a very solid concrete wall and a rock solid noise barrier wall on top of it. A ball that goes over this will land in a river.
I complained first when they started with the construction work but now I have a bullet proof backstop 6m high and as wide as the property on this side.

Old 10-16-2016, 12:46 AM   #5
Flipgun

Slingshots

Liked 4691 Times on 2215 Posts
Likes Given: 952

Welcome! Your injuries sound like a real drag. Do you have limits on your range of motion or is it more involved than that? A lot of fun, more speed and power can come from light bands and tubes than you would think.

Old 10-16-2016, 07:54 AM   #6
Juggalo
My slingshots are like me. They aren't pretty.
TSF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 495 Times on 390 Posts
Likes Given: 354

I like it. this is the slingshot channel so I think we need some destruction.

Old 10-16-2016, 11:28 AM   #7
bigdh2000
Administrator
TSF_ADMIN.png

Slingshots

Liked 8984 Times on 5153 Posts
Likes Given: 1727

Looks very promising.

“All men make mistakes, but married men find out about them sooner.” - Red Skelton

Old 10-16-2016, 07:15 PM   #8
onnod
Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

Liked 2885 Times on 1772 Posts
Likes Given: 1074

Welcome! I really like the idea to make an adjustable drawlenght system

Old 10-16-2016, 08:20 PM   #9
sbn89
TSF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipgun View Post
Welcome! Your injuries sound like a real drag. Do you have limits on your range of motion or is it more involved than that? A lot of fun, more speed and power can come from light bands and tubes than you would think.
I had limitations earlier this year but i managed to get rid of most them. I still have trouble with unbalanced load on my back and working overhead. Also I can't lift much more than 10kg from the ground without hurting badly. My left shoulder is getting better but I still can't do more than 2-3 shots with a small bow. In February I wasn't able to lift a 1l Bottle filled with water with my left arm. That sucked big time. But I didn't register here to whine around and get everybody to feel sorry for me. I'm here because I want to get back to my toys and achieve something

my Slingshot has a double layer setup with 0.6mm natural rubber bands. Way to much for the moment. You got a good point there

I like the shape of it and I have a trunkload full of plywood that I got from a local industrial packaging service for free. About time to make my own. That plywood is the cheapest quality but on the other hand it should be fine for weak and medium band sets. I just ordered 4 different strengh from light to strong each 1.5m but this time it's cheap stuff instead of theraband. It should compare to theraband red, green, blue and black.

Knallfrosch might be the one to try out my xbow himself as he is the closest member on the map. About an hour drive.
Some trainig on slingshots might help anyway. I never really figured out how to aim with a long draw

Old 10-19-2016, 03:12 PM   #10
sbn89
TSF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I was talking about one slingshot? Well I count already 3 ready and one in progres by now.

I was scrolling through the template section and picked one of Dans templates: Elvira

So these three are made of scrap pieces of that said cheap stuff

20161019_102855.jpg

On the left side is the original elvira. In the center is a variation with the exact same fork but a handle the is adapted to my left hand.
The right one is a variation as well but yet unfinished. Unfortunately the cheap plywood came back on me an I got a faulty spot with a partly missing layer . I filled it with a mix of shellac, ethanol and saw dust and soaked it again and again with dissolved shellac once it dryed. Normally I just mix woodglue and sawdust but as I'm planning on a linseed oil finish that wouldn't last. The other alternative would be bone glue but I didn't feel like making some just for that spot. I can't start sanding bofore the ethanol is completly evaporated.

The right one is by the way extremly easy to make as long as you have a drillpress with 35mm, 40mm and 50mm center bits. Most of it can simply be drilled out an the rest is a piece of cake
20161019_095527.jpg

Early this mornig my dog found this for me:
20161019_153728.jpg
I think it is spalted birch but I can't tell for sure. It was the tip of his stick and I had to cut this off and save it.
Just debarked it, carfully filed two little branches flush to the surface, rounded the ends, manually sanded it with 240 grit paper and dipped it in raw linseed oil. Now I need to wait for the oil to harden.

The rubberbands that I ordered on sunday are due to arrive tommorow. Finally I have something to do and later something to play with