You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of The Slingshot Forum!    

Slingshot Forum - The Slingshot Channel Official Forum > General > Knives, Swords, and other bladed weapons >

German Knife

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2017, 01:25 AM   #1
Chris_Egan

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default German Knife

This is an old knife handed down to,me from my dad, It's Solengen made so i want to get it hair splitting sharp but the handle is a little loose and could use some work to keep tight, I could use some advice to turn this thing from good looking family heirloom into a slingshot carving tool.German Knife - Knives, Swords, and other bladed weapons

Old 03-13-2017, 05:40 AM   #2
JoergS
Administrator
TSF_ADMIN.png

Liked 10317 Times on 2790 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Send a message via Skype™ to JoergS

This is a typical hunting knife. The handle consists of real antler horn and leather rings. It is common that the leather dries out and shrinks over the years. You can usually fix this by taking the handle apart (unscrew the knob) and adding one or two new leather rings. You can cut those yourself. Keep them large and cut off the excess after reassembly.

The blade can of course be sanded and polished to perfection, but maybe you should simply clean and oil it. Some patina on an old piece is part of the fascination. They do the same on vintage cars these days. This does not mean you can't sharpen the blade. It is made from carbon steel (so it does rust if you don't take proper care), so it will take on a really sharp edge. Plenty of cool videos about knife sharpening on the internet.

Good luck!

Old 03-13-2017, 11:02 AM   #3
Chris_Egan

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yeah I have no plans on making the blade shine, id rather leave the natural black iron oxide that time has given to me as a protective gift, it is the same stuff that is called "gun blue"!

Old 03-13-2017, 11:05 AM   #4
Chris_Egan

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Also i found the blade canbe tightened, I'm thinking about clear epoxy internally to keep everything in place after all the leather gets a good soaking in leather conditioning.

Old 03-13-2017, 03:32 PM   #5
Daedric-Panther

Liked 336 Times on 229 Posts
Likes Given: 214

Nice. Might be hard to carve small details with a large knife, but this will make a great tool.

Old 03-14-2017, 07:18 AM   #6
seppman
Folding-Ladder Expert
TSF_ADMIN.png

Slingshots

Liked 5029 Times on 2931 Posts
Likes Given: 2583

Little tip: If you don't want to spend a lot of money on japanese water whetstones or some other fancy sharpening systems, check out one of those oneway lady's nailpolish sanding pads. There are some with 4 different grits in one (200, 600, 1200, 3000 and many other combinations or sets) and cost about a dollar. Perfect to give a knife a quick razorsharp edge.
JanP Likes This 
Old 03-15-2017, 02:04 AM   #7
Daedric-Panther

Liked 336 Times on 229 Posts
Likes Given: 214

Bottom of a ceramic coffee mug works too

Old 03-15-2017, 04:05 AM   #8
Chris_Egan

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by seppman View Post
Little tip: If you don't want to spend a lot of money on japanese water whetstones or some other fancy sharpening systems, check out one of those oneway lady's nailpolish sanding pads. There are some with 4 different grits in one (200, 600, 1200, 3000 and many other combinations or sets) and cost about a dollar. Perfect to give a knife a quick razorsharp edge.
i believe a set of Arkansas stones is in my future, not cheap but will last a lifetime.