You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of The Slingshot Forum!    

Slingshot Forum - The Slingshot Channel Official Forum > The Slingshot Channel Videos > Slingshot Crossbows >

Ultra high powered slingshot crossbow

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2016, 07:12 AM   #11
JonS
LetsBuildIt

Liked 264 Times on 187 Posts
Likes Given: 284

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoergS View Post
Well, you are already getting the momentum of a .45 ACP round, at 2,9 Ns. Energy isn't everything! Great work.

The only problem with rubber based crossbows is the hysteresis effect... after four hours in the tree stand with the crossbow fully cocked, the performance will be much, much lower. Plus also the poor performance in cold temps.
The performance is decreased even after a few seconds. That is annoying when you're making a crossbow. An 80 pound regular crossbow is by no doubt stronger than a sling-crossbow with the same draw weight. I discovered that when making my bullpup crossbow. It shot much slower than my 20 pound youth bow.
The poor performance in cold temperatures is annoying me like crazy. I won't be able to shoot outside until late May, when the air is hot enough not to freeze your fingers off. I'm looking forward to next year.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_vYHERTYxBRDo6K8GTjNBg/videos

Old 10-20-2016, 12:59 PM   #12
Setarip

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoergS View Post
Well, you are already getting the momentum of a .45 ACP round, at 2,9 Ns. Energy isn't everything! Great work.

The only problem with rubber based crossbows is the hysteresis effect... after four hours in the tree stand with the crossbow fully cocked, the performance will be much, much lower. Plus also the poor performance in cold temps.
Energy isn't everything is very true! Already the momentum of this destroys any .22. Of course, I came here because like you Joerg, I need more power! I would love to see if I can come close to the highest power crossbow on the market...the Scorpyd Ventilator Extreme. That beast puts out 173 ft-lbs and looses a 400 grain bolt at 440 fps.

Rubber hysteresis. A definite issue. Unless there was a 60 plus degree Fahrenheit day it would be a poor choice of weapon. But since this is capable of taking African game this might just work in the heat of Africa. I don't hunt so I would never find out, so this is only hypothetical. I personally just like how light of a weapon rubber based can be, and because it's rubber powered it's already self-dampening and very quiet!

As far as version 2.0, I have bearing sheaves coming in and I am going to begin the new trigger mechanism today. I may just go for the 70cm power stroke that RalphG used and see what I can get out with the same amount of rubber I am currently using.

Old 10-26-2016, 05:35 PM   #13
Setarip

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Small update on version 2: I am just completing a personal design of a bullpup trigger mechanism. This allows 3 inches (76mm) more draw length in the same overall length! The trigger components are 3/8" thick 6061 aluminum, with bronze sleeve bearings, and stainless steel standoffs. The side plates are 3/16" thick 6061 aluminum.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8788.jpg (62.4 KB, 74 views)
People Like This 
Old 10-27-2016, 01:35 PM   #14
JonS
LetsBuildIt

Liked 264 Times on 187 Posts
Likes Given: 284

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setarip View Post
Looking great.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_vYHERTYxBRDo6K8GTjNBg/videos

Old 12-09-2016, 09:14 PM   #15
edwarddonald

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Hey do you you live in the UK?

Old 12-10-2016, 09:23 AM   #16
Setarip

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwarddonald View Post
Hey do you you live in the UK?
I do not. I currently reside in western NY.