You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of The Slingshot Forum!    

Slingshot Forum - The Slingshot Channel Official Forum > The Slingshot Channel Videos > Slingshot Crossbows >

Cobra Pistol crossbow modding

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2015, 06:57 PM   #21
Isakpettersn

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Well that might be true i live in northern Sweden so not so far away but i will check what it cost to buy a new one but thanks for your answer!

Old 12-04-2015, 09:15 PM   #22
allu

Liked 67 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isakpettersn View Post
Well that might be true i live in northern Sweden so not so far away but i will check what it cost to buy a new one but thanks for your answer!
You should be able to find it relatively cheaply then, I got mine for 30 (275 Swedish kronor), but it varies between 20-40 depending on the market and discounts. Just check the nearby hunting stores, I found mine on the first try from an outdoor/hunting store

Finally got a job! My mood has definitely gotten better since and I have more time to spare as I don't need to run around the city asking for jobs. Having played Fallout 4 lately I thought to myself, maybe I could put up a little challenge for myself. Making it game like, let's say I found a broken crossbow (my cobra pistol crossbow without the prod, a true survival weapon lol ) and I needed to turn it into a working crossbow with materials and tools found from urban environment to save my ass from those nasty bandits! Already made one design utilizing the trampoline coil springs I have and using plywood and flat steel as main materials. May give it a try tomorrow and see if I can come up with anything decent. Probably nothing compared to the original prod, but a fun quick project to keep me occupied

-allu

Old 12-05-2015, 02:17 AM   #23
RalphG

Liked 246 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Glad to hear you belong among the working masses again even if you have nice Hobbys staying at home for long time can certainly impact on mood - had this last year when changing job, so I know. Downside is I am now working my ass off and have no time for nice builds or experiments.

Regarding coil springs: they can certainly be used but are slower and less effective than fiberglas prod or rubber. One way to a dress the lower speed is to use pulleys of cause.
The Swiss crossbow maker marcel burri experimented with coil springs in the 80ties, he also used pulley to make it faster. Since this was mostly pre-internet, informations on draw weight and speed are hard to find but here is at least a photo of one of his creations:

Cobra Pistol crossbow modding - Slingshot Crossbows

Old 12-05-2015, 08:54 AM   #24
allu

Liked 67 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphG View Post
Glad to hear you belong among the working masses again even if you have nice Hobbys staying at home for long time can certainly impact on mood - had this last year when changing job, so I know. Downside is I am now working my ass off and have no time for nice builds or experiments.

Regarding coil springs: they can certainly be used but are slower and less effective than fiberglas prod or rubber. One way to a dress the lower speed is to use pulleys of cause.
The Swiss crossbow maker marcel burri experimented with coil springs in the 80ties, he also used pulley to make it faster. Since this was mostly pre-internet, informations on draw weight and speed are hard to find but here is at least a photo of one of his creations:

Cobra Pistol crossbow modding - Slingshot Crossbows
Thanks! Yeah sadly you can't have optimal amount of work in your life, there's always too much of it getting in the way of your spare time! But then again holidays actually feel like holidays and weekends are appreciated, and money is always nice to have

Yeah that's definitely one way to increase their speed. Coil springs have many nice attributes over rubber (mainly durability and temperature doesn't effect their performance that much), but they're also heavy and slow. That's why I'd be using moving arms (like in a ballista) to increase the velocity of the projectile. If that doesn't work out then simple pulley setup could be worth trying.

-allu

Old 12-05-2015, 02:23 PM   #25
RalphG

Liked 246 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Here is one made with springs and levers: