You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of The Slingshot Forum!    

Slingshot Forum - The Slingshot Channel Official Forum > General > Conventional slingshots >

First natty

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2017, 09:48 PM   #1
Toney_j

Liked 18 Times on 7 Posts

Default First natty

Hi everyone first post on here an my first natty slingshot. Just an old branch I found and dried out. If anyone has any tips to make my next one better please tell me? Very happy for a first attempt though shoots well.

First natty - Conventional slingshots[IMG]
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170708/23e84e73f09f8b256ebe7a7a23fcd9b3.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-09-2017, 09:54 AM   #2
NamenloserHeld91

Slingshots

Liked 107 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 80

That is evrything you need to shoot very precise.
I woud make the forks a littel shorter so you got more control.
Ammo magazine is always a nice touch.
Guide rollers for tubes so you can extend your draw lenght.

Old 07-09-2017, 10:07 AM   #3
Toney_j

Quote:
Originally Posted by NamenloserHeld91 View Post
That is evrything you need to shoot very precise.
I woud make the forks a littel shorter so you got more control.
Ammo magazine is always a nice touch.
Guide rollers for tubes so you can extend your draw lenght.
Thanks good ideas there just on the hunt for some more nice forks to make some more

Old 07-09-2017, 10:54 AM   #4
onnod
Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

Liked 2900 Times on 1785 Posts
Likes Given: 1074

Good job! What do you mean by better? A little shorter forks is all I would advise. It makes the slingshot more stable because of the reduced leverage on your wrist. Magazines are fiddly and will usually only fit one ammo size which I think is annoying, you're better off making a nice ammo pouch for the belt. Rollers? A lot of hassle for a marginal gain. They will suffer from friction and probably decrease your accuracy. If you want more draw length I would try a starship type, or even better: try butterfly shooting. However, as this is your first slingshot, just play around with shooting and have fun! Get some different targets maybe, filled gas lighters explode nicely in a puff of smoke, cans make a satisfying sound, etc etc.

Old 07-09-2017, 12:26 PM   #5
Toney_j

Quote:
Originally Posted by onnod View Post
Good job! What do you mean by better? A little shorter forks is all I would advise. It makes the slingshot more stable because of the reduced leverage on your wrist. Magazines are fiddly and will usually only fit one ammo size which I think is annoying, you're better off making a nice ammo pouch for the belt. Rollers? A lot of hassle for a marginal gain. They will suffer from friction and probably decrease your accuracy. If you want more draw length I would try a starship type, or even better: try butterfly shooting. However, as this is your first slingshot, just play around with shooting and have fun! Get some different targets maybe, filled gas lighters explode nicely in a puff of smoke, cans make a satisfying sound, etc etc.
Thanks for the tip just been working on the below still keeping it simple, put in some groves for two fingers and a thumb. However not sure if I should make the gap between the forks a little larger to avoid hitting them whilst shooting. I'm still new to this so am not the best shot. Thanks for the advice and any more would be much appreciated.

First natty - Conventional slingshotsFirst natty - Conventional slingshots

Old 07-09-2017, 12:55 PM   #6
onnod
Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

Liked 2900 Times on 1785 Posts
Likes Given: 1074

I would not make the gap larger, but instead look into flipping the slingshot or tweaking the pouch (some people swear by one, some by the other, I like flipping personally but I advise you to look into both and see what you prefer) . I'd link some videos but I'm not able to do so right now. However, a quick search on youtube will probably give you good results.

I see some nice spalting there, what are you planning for the finish?

Old 07-09-2017, 04:58 PM   #7
Toney_j

Quote:
Originally Posted by onnod View Post
I would not make the gap larger, but instead look into flipping the slingshot or tweaking the pouch (some people swear by one, some by the other, I like flipping personally but I advise you to look into both and see what you prefer) . I'd link some videos but I'm not able to do so right now. However, a quick search on youtube will probably give you good results.

I see some nice spalting there, what are you planning for the finish?
For my first I used teak oil but someone said that olive oil makes them look really good so the below pics are after one coat of olive oil. Will be sanding and re applying really looks good.

First natty - Conventional slingshotsFirst natty - Conventional slingshots