You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of The Slingshot Forum!    

Slingshot Forum - The Slingshot Channel Official Forum > The Slingshot Channel Videos > Crazy contraptions >

Pen Cannon

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2016, 09:35 PM   #1
Oscar

Slingshots

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Talking Pen Cannon

Hello, I'm new to this forum but I did however found the slingshot channel on YouTube a few days ago and it's really funny to watch all the creations Jörg makes.

I was getting a little bit inspired of this and I did search in some old supplies and found an old pen shooting rubber band powered gun. I built it a couple years ago and it still works pretty well.

It's made to look a bit like the m1a1 Tommy gun. It can barely peirce corrugated fiberboard with a pen and it's really funny to shoot with it.

Now I'm going to reconstruct this gun and see if I can make it fire pens that can pierce "wellpapp".

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0051.jpg (33.2 KB, 65 views)

Old 04-16-2016, 10:51 PM   #2
bigdh2000
Administrator
TSF_ADMIN.png

Slingshots

Liked 8964 Times on 5137 Posts
Likes Given: 1619

Make sure to take lots of pictures.

“All men make mistakes, but married men find out about them sooner.” - Red Skelton
Oscar Likes This 
Old 04-18-2016, 06:53 AM   #3
Oscar

Slingshots

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

The old version is built with normal wooden plank 1x4 inches and sawed out with a handheld jigsaw <- according to google translate (I thought that was the protagonist in the saw franchise :P)

Then holes were drilled and a pen shooting mechanism was added, it's pretty simple though hard to describe.

The newer version is made out of plywood because I felt it was easier, also Jörg's videos on YouTube made me think plywood was a great material and clearly underrated by me.

The first step was to take the handheld jigsaw and cut out the shape of the rifle, just about one meter long.
Then two pieces of plywood to hold the barrel, a 20 centimeters long copper pipe in the smallest dimension, 8mm I think, it's however just so big that a pen can pass through without problems.

Then these were put together with glue. Then the rifle was sawed off just above the handle to give room for the trigger mechanism, therefore two pieces of plywood was attached to the sides to give the rifle a more natural shape and lift up the plywood board from the barrel to the trigger.

Then I was taking a coffee and stopped my work for that day stay tuned more is coming, trigger mechanism and rubber bands are coming soon.

Any tips on good rubber bands from normal hardware stores?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0053.JPG (97.8 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0052.JPG (108.3 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0054.JPG (106.5 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0055.JPG (97.2 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0057.JPG (89.2 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0059.JPG (83.9 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0061.JPG (94.3 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0062.JPG (86.7 KB, 59 views)

Last edited by Oscar; 04-18-2016 at 07:06 AM. Reason: EDIT1: spelling EDIT2: pictures weren't attached :/

Old 05-03-2016, 01:53 PM   #4
Oscar

Slingshots

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

The pen gun is a fail I must admit, I does actually peirce the corrugated fiberboard but the construction is too weak for the actual power, the glued plywood doesn't resist the power of the rubber, it's even supported by screws but it doesn't help.

So I will probably make a new version with a more powerful design so it can fire the pens without destroying the construction itself.

The pen was sharpened like a knife tip with two edges, a flat shape and this is how it looked after a hit.

The normally sharpened pencils did create the small holes on impact and the flat sharpened created the bigger holes. No pencil went through but the did somehow stick in the wellpapp/corrugated fiberboard.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160503_154453.jpg (44.4 KB, 45 views)

Old 05-04-2016, 09:21 AM   #5
seppman
Folding-Ladder Expert
TSF_ADMIN.png

Slingshots

Liked 5017 Times on 2920 Posts
Likes Given: 2541

Keep on experimenting and have fun! That's what counts!