You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of The Slingshot Forum!    

Slingshot Forum - The Slingshot Channel Official Forum > The Slingshot Channel Videos > Crazy contraptions >

Bare handed slingshot

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2014, 11:10 AM   #11
WATERLOGIC
Banned
Slingshots

Liked 397 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 390

"The more rigid the band is, the more chances you have to shoot your hand."

Can you explain this ?

According to older people this kind of slingshot was used in Macedonia at least 50 years ago (using thick rubber stripes cut from tractor inner tubes) . Probably the idea came from Asia.

Also I use one with double thera tube red (as shown above) and I have no problems - the tubes also last much much longer.

I think the only point of serious and careful consideration is the pouch (avoid thin leather and too short string).

Btw the knot you use for attaching the pouch to the rubber is not constrictor knot.

This is a constrictor knot:

Bare handed slingshot - Crazy contraptions

The knot you use is this one :

most of the time called : Lark's head (cow hitch)

Last edited by WATERLOGIC; 03-21-2014 at 11:24 AM.

Old 03-24-2014, 12:52 PM   #12
romanianshadow

Liked 6 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks for the knot info and sorry for my confusion.

Regarding the other points:

"According to older people this kind of slingshot was used in Macedonia at least 50 years ago (using thick rubber stripes cut from tractor inner tubes) . Probably the idea came from Asia."

There are several variations in bareback slingshots that have been used for several years during the past decades. The exact model that I am showing in my videos has been in use in South Romania since the rubber itself (my grandpa was using it during the period immediately following World War I). However, as I do not have further historical information, I do not exclude the possibility that something similar could be used in other geographical areas at the same time (or even before).

"Also I use one with double thera tube red (as shown above) and I have no problems - the tubes also last much much longer."

Tubes work (and so do think flat bands); but they are more prone to induce accidents than thin flat bands, because they have difficulties when translating from position behind your hand to position forward your forward hand when the slingshot is released (unless you do an ample hand-down movement - which is very dangerous when using really strong stuff).
In your case, theraband red is in the softer side of the Theraband series and probably that's why you don't have issues with it. If you use stronger bands, you will notice it is not possible to be effective with tubes (because they are rigid and this makes them difficult to control). I am typically using a setup of 5 full-width theraband blue expanding about 5-6 times the original length when I load. That can be only used with the full-fist grip. Do you really thing that could work with tubes??
Now, on the other side, if you use two tubes and link each end of the pouch to each of the tubes, that will probably work better with tubes. But that is still applicable only if you use soft, weak tubes.

Best Regards,
Shadow

People Like This 
Old 05-08-2014, 06:25 PM   #13
Malleus
Suspended User

Liked 241 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 454

@romanianshadow

Do you have a formula to match band and ammo types ?

I use a full width length of Black Roylan band, which seems similar to Theraband Black, and I mostly shoot glass marbles with it. I guess this is way to powerful for the light ammo I'm using, I shot a few 12mm lead balls with it yesterday and they went like rockets. It also works well with large stones if I attach a bigger pouch.

Maybe if you could tell us what configuration of bands you use for different ammo types we could work out what's best for us.
For example, if you hunt then what band and ammo do you use for what game?

Old 06-11-2014, 01:03 AM   #14
Exigent

Liked 62 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 66

I did something similar with bungee cords. I stopped doing it after I had a rock hit my hand however, not fun. I suppose if I had a skid plate protecting my fingers and thumbs i'd consider doing it, but at that point I might as well have a slingshot on me.

Old 08-29-2014, 01:29 PM   #15
Phoghat
Hacker of things

Liked 24 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Send a message via Skype™ to Phoghat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver74 View Post
Hello,

i donīt know if this video has been discussed before, but i think it is really amazing :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meae-vWJ7KU

Very simple, very strong!
But I confess, I have not the courage to try it myself...

Regards,

Oliver
neither do I

Old 03-09-2015, 12:42 AM   #16
Redloesebob
Slingshot Veteran

Liked 34 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 389

I had the courage to try this bareback shooting style. It went pretty good and it felt good, and also i did'nt hit my hand.

But the other way some projectiles flew backwards instead of forward where i was aiming.

I suspect it has to do with to short string from the pouch to the rubber, but it seemed good the majority of shots i made.

I have already started using full width TBG.

Old 03-09-2015, 03:37 PM   #17
Malleus
Suspended User

Liked 241 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 454

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redloesebob View Post
But the other way some projectiles flew backwards instead of forward where i was aiming.

I suspect it has to do with to short string from the pouch to the rubber, but it seemed good the majority of shots i made.
What "other way" ?

I shoot the way romanianshadow does in the video and I suggest about 5 to 6 inches of string between pouch and band. The only time I had any problems was when I replaced the pouch, the new pouch I put on caused many shots to go astray, I think the leather was a bit too thick. So I just made another pouch out of thin leather and all was good again.

Old 03-10-2015, 01:04 AM   #18
Redloesebob
Slingshot Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malleus View Post
What "other way" ?

I shoot the way romanianshadow does in the video and I suggest about 5 to 6 inches of string between pouch and band. The only time I had any problems was when I replaced the pouch, the new pouch I put on caused many shots to go astray, I think the leather was a bit too thick. So I just made another pouch out of thin leather and all was good again.

Just bad english i guess, my meaning was that that i got some blowback during the shooting but still good.

I shoot with like half that length of string between pouch and rubber. But now i consider making a longer set.
Old 03-10-2015, 07:21 AM   #19
Super Baba
Vashikaran Gold Medalist

Liked 311 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 159

You say you lack courage? Do not fear, help is only a minute away! Call +919680636288 and Baba will forever look over you from the Vashikaran Heavens. Order the new "Divine Protection" package for only 999.99$! Call now!
Old 03-15-2015, 01:48 PM   #20
Redloesebob
Slingshot Veteran

Default Attaching the pouch to the string without hole question.

A question to Romanianshadow ( or if anyone elso know's ) how to attach the string to the pouch without making holes in the pouch?

Nowadays it's not the band's that tear but the pouch itself.

I really would like to find out.