You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of The Slingshot Forum!    

Slingshot Forum - The Slingshot Channel Official Forum > The Slingshot Channel Videos > Crazy contraptions >

Bare handed slingshot

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2014, 12:20 PM   #1
Oliver74

Liked 32 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 110

Default Bare handed slingshot

Hello,

i donīt know if this video has been discussed before, but i think it is really amazing :

Very simple, very strong!
But I confess, I have not the courage to try it myself...

Regards,

Oliver

People Like This 
Old 03-18-2014, 01:42 PM   #2
Gniaffron

Slingshots

Liked 1301 Times on 767 Posts
Likes Given: 1795

This is definitely a slingshot one can make in a dollar store! I think I will give it a try not with a strong band nor heavy ammo, just in case you know...

BeMahoney Likes This 
Old 03-18-2014, 03:03 PM   #3
Pafic
Trainee

Liked 21 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 316

that guy is Romanian, he makes me feel proud to be Romanian too
Old 03-18-2014, 03:22 PM   #4
VWscooby

Liked 4293 Times on 1774 Posts
Likes Given: 2122

Looks like the adult version of the old classroom favourite of looping an elastic band over your thumb and index fingers and firing spitballs at people.

Cant be that much more dangerous than a PFS surely?
Old 03-18-2014, 06:49 PM   #5
Malleus
Suspended User

Liked 241 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 458

I love the forkless slingshot concept, infact last year it was pretty much the only slingshot I used.

There are several bareback slingshot videos on youtube but romanianshadows' method of holding and pouch attachment is the one I used.

I have made light versions using a single light tube and it was only with the light ones that I hit my hand.

It's a pity romanianshadow only has a few vids, I really enjoy them.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:49 PM   #6
jnmbhj
Slingshots FTW

Liked 364 Times on 249 Posts
Likes Given: 263

Am I the only one that is nervous about that hitting my hand? I mean its like 1 cm above your hand.

Old 03-18-2014, 08:47 PM   #7
WATERLOGIC
Banned
Slingshots

Liked 397 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 390

I posted this http://slingshotforum.com/topic/30160-reconstruction-attempt-from-the-past-frameless-stealth-slingshot/

in February

Bare handed slingshot - Crazy contraptions

Same but with tube (s).

Works great . Be careful regarding the pouch - RTS danger if not done properly (the strings at the pouch should be long enough and do not use very thin leather ). Otherwise perfectly safe. With practice very good precision possible. (I do not recommend butterfly style with this …)

This guys are using the same thing for hunting flying fox bats :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNlyuWhT62w

Last edited by WATERLOGIC; 03-18-2014 at 09:02 PM.

Old 03-18-2014, 08:49 PM   #8
Malleus
Suspended User

Liked 241 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnmbhj View Post
Am I the only one that is nervous about that hitting my hand? I mean its like 1 cm above your hand.
It's only a matter of dropping the holding hand a bit when you realese, similar to a flip. I find it's a natural single motion shooting action, drawing with one hand while pushing and aiming with the other, as you realese the pushing aiming hand is naturally moving out of the way.

I hope that makes sense.

The couple of times I hit my hand was because I was distracted by talking to someone and wasn't shooting in a single motion.

If you are worried you could try shooting soft ammo like rolled up silver foil to get used to it.

Old 03-18-2014, 09:27 PM   #9
WATERLOGIC
Banned
Slingshots

Liked 397 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 390

It is almost impossible to hit your hand if you grip the rubber like this :

Bare handed slingshot - Crazy contraptions

(the pouch is attached to the upper tube) . As I said above there is a danger of RTS (pouch does not open - only if not done properly - see my previous post)

Old 03-21-2014, 10:27 AM   #10
romanianshadow

Liked 6 Times on 2 Posts

Hello,

I'm glad that you like the romanian model.
If anybody needs some tips to start this shooting style, I think I can help.

Here are some things that I've noticed over time:

1) When making such a forkless, single band, slingshot, try using soft flat bands (Theraband gold or thinner is ok). Avoid making such a slingshot from tubes or thick flat bands. The more rigid the band is, the more chances you have to shoot your hand.

2) When you are new to this shooting style, avoid using the over-fist grip. Rather use the over-fingers grip (it is much more controllable becaus of the larger prybar). In the video posted in the beginning of this topic, I was showing several gripping styles. Gripping over two bent fingers is strong enough for use with an average rubber band and offers the best control.

3) Steps for a clean, safe shot:
- Load the slingshot
- Extend it keeping the face of your fist up
- Start turning your forward hand with fist forward
- As soon as you start turning your forward hand, release the pouch
- The slingshot springs and travels forward, further than your forward hand, beforw your forward hand finishes its turning-forward motion
- The puch tends to keep its position with opening forward (caused by the inertia) and the projectile leaves it
Note: as soon as you become familiar with this shooting style, you will feel it so natural that the bending forward motion of the forward hand will become almost unperceptible for the eye.

4) First time shooters (or any shooter who wants to exercise in closed spaces) can safely use compressed paper mops as projectiles. You can make some balls out of paper, compressing as much as you can with your fingers. Then, you may want to wrap them around with ordinary adhesive band, so that they can be reused after the first shot. Paper is soft and deformable enough to be safe. I am using this for a long time to exercise in closed spaces (even in my room) and have never broke any window with such a projectile (despite I've hit several).

I hope you find these tips useful.

Warm Regards!

People Like This