You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of The Slingshot Forum!    

Slingshot Forum - The Slingshot Channel Official Forum > General > Off Topic >

When to go public / ask for support | Coilgun | crowd funding

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2017, 07:49 AM   #1
DerAlbi

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Send a message via Skype™ to DerAlbi
Post When to go public / ask for support | Coilgun | crowd funding

Hi guys,
I am a young engineer from Germany and in the past 4 years I invested a lot of my time in developing a Coilgun. A Coilgun is basically an electric motor. It uses coils/inductors to create a magnetic field which attracts a ferromagnetic projectile to accelerate it. I kind of think it would fit in this forum.
Sorry that I have to blast you with a wall of text but I think my final question needs some context.

State of the Art: There are a lot of Coilguns out there – most of them displayed on Youtube by hobbyists. Before you search yourself, let me summarize: the most viewed coilguns are the pretty ones. Most showoffs are made by shooting glass, cellphones, whatever.. basically everything that would break if you let it drop from a table :-D OK - some are penetrating thin aluminum cans.. the projectile energies reach up to ~20J.

Now some technical stuff: Being an electric motor a Coilgun converts electrical energy (stored in capacitors) into kinetic energy. This energy conversion has of course an efficiency because there is also heat as a byproduct. Here is the catch: The typical Coilgun design you find on youtube reaches around 1% - 3% efficiency. Pathetic, isnt it. This is why most titles say “xxx kJ-Coilgun” which is mostly a reference to the electrical energy stored in the gun. This of course is pure click bait, because 1% of 1kJ electrical energy is still just 10J in the projectile.
Now keep in mind that 1J of electrical energy can be stored in 1g of component weight in current capacitor technology. So if you want higher projectile energies – lets say 100J – then you need to store an insane amount of energy which comes in capacitors which weigh so much, the whole device is basically unusable. Also there is the issue of “the more powerful the motor/coilgun has, the more copper is involved” and copper is heavy too.

So here is what I did: After some of research, tests and experiments I came up with a Coilgun design that is far superior to the hobbyist designs. I can reach up to 40% efficiency which changes the whole game. With 40% efficiency you can build a 100J (kinetic!) Coilgun and would only need 250J = 250g worth of capacitors. Actually I can sacrifice the efficiency and make coils not from copper wire but aluminum wire which has 30% more losses, but just 1/3 of the weight! Still lets say 20% efficiency only requires a capacitor bank of ~600J. Manageable.
So in conclusion what I can offer based on this:
- 100J – 120J projectile energy (100m/s muzzle speed)
- rifle form factor (80cm – 90cm long)
- 5.5kg overall mass (still heavy but thats why its such a leap forward – I reached a manageable weight with all the improvements.)
- 2 shots per second (if you want that… [I dont really care])
- should be classified as toy in Germany (using a special rail design as projectile guidance) The gun has no “barrel” in a legal sense.
- it will cost 1700€ retail. (sry!)
- its as silent as it gets. The projectile inevitable pushes some air out of the gun but thats about it.
- it shoots (L)40mm x (dia)10mm iron dowel pins which are readily available and should mostly be reusable if not deformed. The flight characteristics are currently unknown but I suspect its not too bad.

Also as electrical device there are a lot of security issues. I actually mean it in a good way. Its easy to incorporate a fingerprint sensor for turn on (family safety), accelerometers to disable the gun while free-falling or when impacting the gun (getting slapped by a supervisor?) and much more stuff. (No, I wont include Bluetooth for remote shooting – I actually will do everything to prevent this scenario, sorry)

I really think there could be a marked for it even with the hefty price tag. Its not only a technical curiosity, it also has some elegance and ease of use. There is also the technical aspect for some interested people since I can give access to the coil timings in the firmware.

I am currently developing a prototype which will show the technical achievements of the engineering I did. Its only a 20J gun, but in pistol form (26cm long) which will incorporate all proof of concepts of a bigger gun (its really just a thing of scaling stuff up in the end[whick makes a lot of stuff actually easier]). This prototype must then be evaluated by the German authorities to make it an official toy gun ;-) Then I need to actually scale it up. This small prototype should be finished around 1 year from now, I am around half way done.

So here I talk money: its sooooo expensive! Expensive in two ways actually: first of all its actually expensive then I only work for 24h a week to have sufficient time for the project – thus cutting my salary quite a bit. In the last year alone I made 3k€ minus to get things done. The obvious solution is crowd funding – but I suck at marketing.

See, my problem is: I am an engineer. I made an extremely cool electrical design which most people will never understand, appreciate or even care about. Its primarily visual coolness that sells! I currently only can sell a design scheme, nothing else. I am extremely hesitant to advertise the half finished idea because I do not want to be one of the crowd funding parasites who made a few renderings and promises curing world hunger and become a millionaire – even that would be easier :-D
I am currently not ready to ask for support because I dont even know how the final gun will look like. How can I promise anything as long as its not done – I can promise electrical specs of course, but as said thats not what people care about.
Yet, I need the support. Not only financial but I also need people that keep asking me for progress to keep up my motivation. I would even like to stream my engineering sessions to be honest. Doing everything by your own gets lonely at times.
Man, I would even like to go so far and go full time on this gun. My current job at the university is a huge source of depression – seeing the education system fail student for student and being part of this system where no one can fail to become a PhD is just ridicules – I dont value that title anymore so why bother..

There is also a lack of crowd funding sites available for stuff like guns (terms of service restriction)… I searched a lot of platforms but I didnt find anything that gave even a bit of security to the funders. The best I found is gofundme.com but I dont expect much publicity there to be honest.
My crowd funding goals would be either to finish the current small prototype or to develop the big 100J version. For 100 guns I would need around >150k€ and 2 – 3 years of time to get it absolutely right. I also need community input to make it attractive for the user

So now lets formulate my actual question:
- When to go public with the project? (When the prototype is done? Now? When the final look stands?)
- How to be trustworthy for crowd funding? (Should I share concept work which is not related to the finished product to give people an impression of progress?) Can I somehow show off the things I learned and the abilities I have that qualify me for this project without having an annoying bragging factor attached?

Also please ask any open question – technical or personal, I try to answer.
I can also show what I have actually done so far – just for now its enough text. Apologies to everyone who actually read it.

Old 04-09-2017, 03:34 AM   #2
onnod
Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

Liked 2890 Times on 1776 Posts
Likes Given: 1074

It sounds really cool for sure! As a design student, I've discussed a lot about crowd funding and the possible dangers like plagiarism through a funding campaign, etc.

I personally would like to see a working prototype if I were to crowdfund. I would be more hesistant to fund something purely based on drawings (I think some sites even require prototypes.) The most Important question for you is right now a different one though. Would crowdfunding really be the best source of funds for you? Would a coilgun (especially an effective one) be the thing for the public right now? I think there are big big companies etc jumping around for such improvements. Look there maybe?

So, I would wait with going public until you have a working prototype. About bragging factor, I'm kinda "oiled up" now so I don't have a clue sorry.

People Like This 
Old 04-09-2017, 03:49 AM   #3
Will
Thread Hijacker

Slingshots

Liked 8137 Times on 2839 Posts
Likes Given: 13992

Im no scientist, just a dumb pipefitter. However, I do know that the US has recently abandoned the idea of coilguns/railguns as a viable means of weaponry. Very curious to see what secrets you have developed, that they failed to examine.

}=))))º > Wdabeast@Gmail.Com < º((((={

Old 04-09-2017, 11:47 AM   #4
DerAlbi

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Many thanks for reading this!
Quote:
Very curious to see what secrets you have developed, that they failed to examine.
Well the truth is kind of disappointing i guess. I havent done any magic. The problem is that the Coilgun community itself is stuck. Its for most people a fun hobby project which leads to many amateurs and beginners to play with the topic. A lot of them then teach their findings to others which leads to a lot of misconceptions and wrong ideas about how the stuff works. I really just tried to get every single aspect right. Thats it.

Quote:
the US has recently abandoned the idea of coilguns/railguns as a viable means of weaponry.
Afaik railguns are deployed on some battle ships in the US. However there is a big difference between railguns and coilguns. Railguns are easily scale-able to very high power and make most sense at high powers while coilguns become quickly unmanageable. As you can see even (in my eyes) maxed out coilgun-technology has just crossbow-like projectile specs which is kind of pathetic. It will never be a weapon of war in my eyes which is totally fine for me. Specially projectile speed is a very limiting factor so its really really hard to get to supersonic speeds. Its actually easier to accelerate a very fat projectile to low speed as a small projectile to high speed - my trade off here is 100m/s with a 24g projectile which is - as said - crossbow-like.
The direct competition to crossbows is also what made me choose this forum. :-)

Quote:
Would crowdfunding really be the best source of funds for you? Would a coilgun (especially an effective one) be the thing for the public right now? I think there are big big companies etc jumping around for such improvements. Look there maybe?
This is a good question. The problem with a company is that it sounds like a lot a one time buy out which, until its not 7 figures, seems like a bad deal. I do think that i would greatly benefit from the established distribution system but not much else.
What i extremely like about a community driven design is is the idea of feedback while developing. Feature requests and so on can assure a really nice product in the end. Its kind of an equivalent to the "early access"-idea which is flooding the gaming scene right now.
My problem is basically that i never held or even shot a gun in my life - so input would be greatly appreciated and needed.
You know.. companies.. it just feels a lot like they would just suck up my IP and all my years of development climaxes in a "well thanks, but now **** off".

You can see my case design for the small prototype which is currently optimized for 3D-printing. Its kind of ugly but its also a proof of concept for me: a bigger gun has inherently much more space for electronics - a butstock alone has more room for electronics than this design provides.
The question is for example if people will understand this fact, or if i should avoid the technical challenge, make a bigger case that people will more likely appreciate visually. However from a technical standpoint this case is more impressive - but with marketing in mind, ugliness is a show stopper.

Btw: this image is more pleasing than the real case. Imagine the orange/green thing (acceleration-coils) repeating 8x in the forward direction, then add a hood around it. Suddenly the whole front of the thing becomes very box-like. Ugly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Case.jpg (34.1 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by DerAlbi; 04-09-2017 at 12:04 PM.

Old 04-09-2017, 12:33 PM   #5
JoergS
Administrator
TSF_ADMIN.png

Liked 10313 Times on 2788 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Send a message via Skype™ to JoergS

Well, if you can build a prototype that delivers the performance you have described and still is portable, then that is the key to your funding. I would not recommend using crowd funding, except if all else fails. You need to partner up with a company that has access to the market at some point anyway, so you might as well use their money for the funding. After all, if your prototype works the next step is making a product out of it. I am sure that several successful German companies would jump on a chance like that.

But the working prototype must exist. This is what you must do first. If the prototype is ready, feel free to contact me. I can certainly put you in touch with the industry and also feature you on my channel (when the time is right).

Old 04-09-2017, 01:36 PM   #6
DerAlbi

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well i will start loosing weight for the camera then :-D
But in all seriousness, i would appreciate the opportunity, i just want to clarify that the small prototype will not have the full performance, just 20J (40m/s) and will not feature aluminium coils which makes it very heavy (2.5kg) for its form factor. Its all i need currently for the BKA to inspect the general barrel design. Its also all i need to again verify my math.
A big prototype will cost in excess of 30k€ (mainly because there is a minimum order quantity for aluminium wire). This is nothing i will even try as long as the legal status is not clear.

But its interesting that you would point me towards a company too. Do you know how those deals work?
I really would not like to just give my IP away or to become a regular employee. And even a profit based salary feels not right, because it adds cost to the customer. A coilgun is something really expensive, adding cost due to greed kills the product. And even if this was the way to go, it will stay a niche product due to price - so profit based salary will never pay me back my years of development.
Given the amount of people who are capable of developing such a gun, i just feel like i should be able to make a living out of it. A good living, if you know what i mean.

Old 04-09-2017, 01:59 PM   #7
JoergS
Administrator
TSF_ADMIN.png

1700 € retail is no problem with that kind of performance. In my store, we sell both the ball shooting STS crossbow (1400 €) and the Verminator arrow airgun (1700 € in the package). They sell quicker than we can get them in. Plenty of Germans that dearly love powerful guns and have the cash - but no gun permit. But keep in mind the margins and the VAT. In order to offer it for 1700, you have to be able to make it for 800. 600 would be better in case you want a big piece of the cake for you.

It is too early for a BKA assessment. You need to be much closer to a real product for that. The final product will be so much different that the assessment for the prototype will be worthless. Plus, it took four years to get the assessment for the "Verminator" arrow shooting airgun... you don't want to wait that long. If you give the BKA such ample warnings, they will try to delay the assessment until the next gun law overhaul - then your product is finished.

In fact the Verminator assessment clearly states that if a gun has no tubular barrel (that gives the projectile a "certain amount of guidance") and it is NOT powered by muscle energy, then it is unregulated. You can really transfer that over to your project. Rails aren't tubular barrels. Otherwise crossbows would be guns.

There are many ways how to structure deals between inventors and companies. I would recommend a mix - a modest salary during the development stage (you have to eat, after all - even if on a diet ), then a bonus when the product is released and a percentage of the sales, maybe with a guaranteed minimum per year. In exchange you would have to issue exclusive marketing rights for as long as the product is actively and properly advertised, produced and sold. If the company stops the line, then the rights fall back to you. But that is irrelevant really as you only have one shot - the next version of the gun law will close the loophole and your weapon will require a full permit.

Old 04-09-2017, 02:53 PM   #8
DerAlbi

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
you have to be able to make it for 800. 600 would be better in case you want a big piece of the cake for you.
My comment:

Quote:
It is too early for a BKA assessment. You need to be much closer to a real product for that. The final product will be so much different that the assessment for the prototype will be worthless
Well, i dont think so. The most defining thing about the barrel will stay the same. A bigger gun will change nothing in that regard, except the acceleration path will be ~5x longer for 5x more energy. My hope was, if you get the underlying principle aknowledged as a toy, you wouldnt even bother to ask for the bigger gun if the defining feature remains unchanged.
I attach a photo of the current design idea below. The problem here is that, if you look into the "barrel" you see a tubular design because the coils (not shown!) wrap around the projectile. They however do never ever touch it (it would be a problem if they did!).
I am pretty sure i am on the save side of things with this design (which is btw a technical demand, its not done to circumvent the law) however you know how they are.. they pull some argument out of their behinds that a 0.5mm air gap between the "tubular" coils and projectile is pretty equivalent to "touching" or "guiding" the projectile or whatever... and suddenly the fun is over depending how ridicules they want to argue -.- So i'd rather hand them over a pathetic weak version of the same thing to reduce resistance a bit.
Its quite possible that i am way too naive here.

Quote:
it took four years to get the assessment for the "Verminator" arrow shooting airgun...
It sounds a lot if you were screwed over. One should have the right to withhold taxes for the time period.
So you wouldnt bother with the BKA? Is that your conclusion? Sounds kind of risky.

Quote:
I would recommend a mix - a modest salary during the development stage
Agreed, but how to pay for material and machines? Those are the most expenses
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rails.jpg (32.4 KB, 27 views)

Old 04-09-2017, 03:23 PM   #9
JoergS
Administrator
TSF_ADMIN.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlbi View Post
So you wouldnt bother with the BKA? Is that your conclusion? Sounds kind of risky.
The answer is yes, I would not bother with the BKA for now. I would apply for a BKA assessment right before market entry. If handled by a company that has a gunsmith license (all big companies in the industry have one), then there is no danger during the development. They will also have specialized lawyers that can issue legal opinions, plus most likely push the BKA hard for a quick assessment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlbi View Post
how to pay for material and machines? Those are the most expenses
It goes without saying that material, machines and proper personnel must be provided by the company. But you MUST make a convincing prototype. Maybe they would give you a few thousand for doing that, in advance, to see if the idea is viable.

Old 04-09-2017, 03:55 PM   #10
DerAlbi

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well many thanks for your input. I will try my best with the small prototype. It wont be pretty, but very functional
As said, it will take me another year in my current work-situation.
I have solved all electrical issues and all of the mechanical issues in separate tests, but i didnt assemble a complete device yet and i dont have any firmware... The prototype will mainly answer the open question about projectile behavior It should be chaotic/unstable, but the chaotic behavior should be delayed very much. Its the only thing thats just theory/gut-feeling/hope for now. I had a stationary proof of concept with 50J some years ago but i never could shoot far enough in my room

Last edited by DerAlbi; 04-09-2017 at 03:59 PM.

Tags
coilgun